Astronomers of Humboldt
The Astronomers of Humboldt ordinarily schedule meetings on the weekend nearest the new moon. Meetings may consist of an observing session or an indoor presentation.
- Saturday March 3. Public Observing at Arts Alive. We will set up scopes at the Gazebo in Eureka for public observing, weather permitting, from 6 to 9 pm.
Friday March 16 or Saturday March 17. Messier Marathon.
We will hold the marathon on either
Friday night or Saturday night, depending on the weather forecast.
If the weather is not cooperative we will cancel the marathon; this year there is no
The location is Kneeland Airport.
If you go, arrive in time to set up equipment before dark. But before leaving home, check both
weather forecast and the Kneeland Airport
Some useful resources for the marathon are: The Messier Marathon, [at http://messier.seds.org/xtra/marathon/marathon.html] which contains a history of Messier Marathons as well as some tables, tips, and links to other resources; The Free Astronomy Software Site, [at http://davidpaulgreen.com/free-astronomy-software/] which contains The Ultimate Messier Object Log (TUMOL); John Small's Sky Maps (archived by Custer Observatory), [at http://www.custerobservatory.org/docs/messier2.pdf] which contains Telrad charts for all the Messier Objects; and Lenore Freeman Morales's book A Starhopper's Guide to Messier Objects available at Everything in the Universe [at http://www.everythingintheuniv.com/_eiu/new_books.htm#starhopper.
Tentative meeting dates and special events for the rest of the first half of 2018 (check back for details):
- Wednesday March 28. "Listening to the Universe: LIGO". OLLI class taught by Barry Evans through HSU.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays April 3-17. "The New Solar System Series". OLLI classes taught by Mark Bailey through HSU.
- Saturday April 14. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday May 12. Regular Monthly Meeting.
- Saturday June 16. Regular Monthly Meeting.
Here are links to some west coast star parties: Brothers Star Party [at http://mbsp.org/], Golden State Star Party [at http://www.goldenstatestarparty.org/], Nightfall Star Party [at http://nightfallstarparty.com/], Oregon Star Party [at http://www.oregonstarparty.org/], RTMC Astronomy Expo [at http://rtmcastronomyexpo.org/], Starry Night Skies Over Yosemite [at http://www.travelyosemite.com/things-to-do/evening-programs/],