Astronomers of Humboldt

History of AOH

The club was founded on January 6, 1957 and was incorporated on February 9, 1959. The Humboldt State University Fickle Hill Observatory was originally constructed by members of the club and later donated to the University in the late 60's. In the late 80's, the club also helped build the two observatories at College of the Redwoods and Kneeland School. Club members and their equipment are available as a public service for educational and charitable groups, youth summer camps, and private events....more


Monthly meetings with informative presentations on a wide variety of subjects and interests are held.

Public Viewings

The club holds several meetings a year where the public is invited to use our equipment. These free viewings have been very well attended and have taken place at Kneeland, on Horse Mountain, at Benbow, and in Old Town Eureka.


A yearly family membership costs a mere $15. Click the "Membership Form" button at left Go to for a printable and mailable membership form. Club members are also eligible for a reduced subscription rate to Sky & Telescope, the most popular astronomical magazine in print.

AOH Online

In addition to these web pages at, there is an "Astronomers of Humboldt" Facebook group where Facebook users can share posts. Twitter users can get reminders of upcoming AOH events by signing up to follow @Astrohum. There is also a news feed containing upcoming AOH events which can be subscribed to at Use the buttons at the bottom of the navigation panel to access these resources.